Book Name : Nawaaqidul Islaam (Nullifiers of Islaam)
Author : Shaykh Mohammad Ibno ‘Abdil Wahaab (Rahimahuahallah)
Dars by Shaykh ‘Abdullah An-Najmi.
First Nullifier : AsShirk.
اعلم أن نواقض الإسلام عشرة :
الأول :الشرك في عبادة الله تعالى
قال الله تعالى : (( إن الله لا يغفر أن يشرك به ويغفر ما دون ذلك لمن يشاء ))
وقال تعالى : (( إنه من يشرك بالله فقد حرم الله عليه الجنة ومأواه النار وما للظالمين من أنصار ))
ومنه الذبح لغير الله كمن يذبح للجن أو للقبر .
The First Nullifier:Shirk (associating partners) in the worship of Allaah. Allaah says: “Verily, Allaah does not forgive that partners be associated with Him in worship (Shirk), but He forgives what is less than that to whom He wills.” [Surah An-Nisaa: 116]And He says: “Verily, the one who mixes partners in worship with Allaah (Shirk), then Paradise has been made forbidden for him andhis final abode will be the Hellfire. And the wrongdoers will nothave any helpers (in Hell).” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 72] | And from it is Sacrificing for other then Allaah like for Jin or grave.
- Shirk is the greatest type of Apostasy among all other.
- Shirk means to direct any act of worship to other than Allaah. Shirk also means to take Equally with Allaah any of His creation and you liken him to Allaah and put him in same level to Allaah.
- Shirk undermines the Lordship of Allaah and also causes the worship of Allaah to be deficient.
- Shirk consists of having bad assumption of Allaah.
- It is one of the Greatest Sins, Evidence in Qur’aan as in Soorah Luqmaan verse 13, ”And (remember) when Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: “O my son! Join not in worship others with Allah. Verily! Joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zulm (wrong) indeed.”. Evidence in Sunnah as in the Hadeeth of Saheeh Bukhaaree: It was narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Mas‘ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allah, which sin is most grievous before Allah? He said: “Attributing an equal to Allah when He has created you.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4477) and Muslim (86).
- Shirk is also worshiping someone with Allaah or Directing any acts of worship to other than Allaah. For example : a)Slaughtering for other then Allaah. (b)Prostrating for other then Allaah. (c)Seeking aid from other then Allaah in things ONLY which Allaah can do.
- Many people have fallen into Shirk but they don’t call it Shirk. They call it Tawassul. These different names which people give don’t change the reality but it’s still Shirk.
- When Shaykh Mohammad ibno ‘Abdil Wahaab, mentions ”Shirk” being one of the Nullifiers of Islaam is actually ”Major Shirk” and NOT ”Minor Shirk”.
- Sacrificing for people in grave and Jins by way of believing that they harm or benefit you, so to prevent harm or get benefit, you sacrifice to them. OR Seeking cure from jin so you sacrifice for them and many other reasons for which you sacrifice for jins.
- It is Greatest of oppression and Sin.It is called oppression because definition of oppression is putting a particular thing in a wrong place. Therefore, when a person puts worship to other than Allaah and takes away from Allaah, has put it in wrong place. Thus, its oppression.
- And Allaah ‘Azza wa jal forgives anything except Shirk as in Soorah An-Nisaa verse 116: ”Verily! Allah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners in worship with Him, but He forgives whom he pleases sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, has indeed strayed far away.”
- Whoever commits Major Shirk stays in hell-fire forever as in Soorah Maa’idah verse 72 : ”Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode . And for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.”
- And if he repents before death, then surely Allaah ‘Azza wa jal will forgive him.
- All of the good deeds are nullified by Major shirk as in Soorah Az-Zumar verse 65:”And indeed it has been revealed to you (O Muhammad Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam), as it was to those (Allah’s Messengers) before you: “If you join others in worship with Allah, (then) surely (all) your deeds will be in vain, and you will certainly be among the losers.”
- Allaah ‘Azza wa jal said regarding Mushrikeen (Polytheist) that their good deeds are of no benefit as in Soorah Tawhbah verse 17, ”It is not for the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), to maintain the Mosques of Allah (i.e. to pray and worship Allah therein, to look after their cleanliness and their building, etc.), while they witness against their ownselves of disbelief. The works of such are in vain and in Fire shall they abide.” Because, polytheist from Quraysh at the time of Prophet Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam used to look after and water those who came for Hajj.This didn’t benefited them because of Major Shirk. As in Soorah Al-Furqaan verse 23, ‘ And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, etc.) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust.”
- The Person has to fear for himself Shirk and for that reason Ibraheem ‘Alyhe salaam, who is the one who destroyed the idols of his time.He said while supplicating to Allaah ‘Azza wa jal in Soorah Ibrahee, verse 35, ”And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) said: “O my Lord! Make this city (Makkah) one of peace and security, and keep me and my sons away from worshipping idols.” رَبِّ اجْعَلْ هَـٰذَا الْبَلَدَ آمِنًا وَاجْنُبْنِي وَبَنِيَّ أَن نَّعْبُدَ الْأَصْنَامَ For this reason Shaykh Mohammad ibno ‘Abdil Wahaab have a chapter in Kitaab At-Tawheed ”Chapter of fearing for yourself shirk”. In that chapter he mentioned ,”Who feels secure from Shirk after Ibraheem ‘Alyhe salaam (i.e after he supplicated this du’aa).
- Major Shirk is from the Major Sins. As prophet Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam said regarding Major Sins that First is Major Shirk and then Disobedient to Parents.
- As for those people who say that ,”Leave alone talking about those who worship graves rather focus your energy on showing enmity and opposition to atheist.”We say, Rather those who fall into shirk by worshiping Graves are more dangerous then atheist.
- Shirk is from one of Deadly sins. As in Hadeeth, It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Avoid the seven sins that doom a person to Hell.” They said: What are they, O Messenger of Allah? He said: “Associating others with Allah (shirk); witchcraft;..”Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6857) and Muslim (89).
- Magic falls into Shirk in two ways : (A) By way that the magician claims to know unseen. (B)You seek aid and assistance from jin, rather then seeking from Allaah.
- Shirk takes place in (a) Ar-Rububiyyah (The Lordship) : When you believe that other then Allaah can Create, Provide and dispose your affairs. (b) Al-Uloohiyyah (directing The Worship) : When you direct your acts of worship to other than Allaah. (c) Asmaa WasSifaat : When you describe any of the things that Allaah created and you ascribe to him, an attribute or Quality that only Alaah Has. For example : No one knows unseen except Allaah. As in Soorah An-Nam verse 65 : ”Say: “None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghaib (unseen) except Allah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected.”
- The three types of Shirk mentioned above are parallel to each other and so, if anyone falls into any of them, then this would necessitate that he falls into other ones. For example : When someone supplicates to a person and he is asking something which only Allaah ‘Azza wa jal can do.So, the supplication here is Shirk of worship because he directed it to other than Allaah. Having belief that the person has the ability to answer supplication is Shirk in Lordship and having the belief that this person you are supplicating to can actually hear your supplication, whether you are far or close, then this is Shirk in Names and Attributes.
- The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) states about minor shirk, such as in al-Musnad (27742) where it is narrated that Mahmoud ibn Labeed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The thing that I fear most for you is minor shirk.” They said: “O Messenger of Allaah, what is minor shirk?” He said: “Showing off, ”. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 951. If this was about Minor Shirk then what do you think about Major Shirk. So, it is upon a person to die upon correct Aqeedah.
- The Shirk which makes a person disbeliever is Major Shirk and not the Minor Shirk. So, minor Shirk don’t takes a person out of Islaam. But, this do not means that you leave or you pay no attention to Minor Shirk. Rather, you have to be careful , beware and be afraid.
- Definition of Minor Shirk is anything that leads to Major Shirk but in itself its not Major Shirk.It do not takes a person outside the fold of Islaam.
- It is obligatory on us to beware and be careful about Minor Shirk and as Prophet also commanded us to seek refuge in Allaah and supplicate to Him, to spare us from falling into Shirk(i.e both Minor and Major).
اللّهُـمَّ إِنّـي أَعـوذُبِكَ أَنْ أُشْـرِكَ بِكَ وَأَنا أَعْـلَمْ، وَأَسْتَـغْفِرُكَ لِما لا أَعْـلَم
“O Allaah, I take refuge in you lest I should commit shirk with you knowingly, and I seek your forgiveness for what i do unknowingly”. As in Soorah An-Nisa verse 48, ”Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allah in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.” As Also in Hadeeth of Tirmidhee by Anas Bin Maalik Radi Allaaho Anhu in Hadeeth Qudsi that Allaah says, ” O son of Adam, even if you were to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth, and then you were to meet Me after death, not worshiping anything besides Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as the earth.’”
Shirk is very dangerous and this is why when Prophet first time went to Kufaar he said ,”Say! Laa ilaha ilallah and you will be successful”.
The meaning of Laa ilaaha ilallah includes : (a) Negation : negating that No One has the Right to be worshiped. (b) Affirmation: you affirm that only Allaah is worthy of Worship.
Likewise,Hadeeth of Mu’aadh ibn Jabal Radi Allaaho Anhu that he was sent to Ahlul Kitaan by Prophet Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam that the First thing you call them to is Worshiping Allaah Alone(i.e Tawheed).
So, we have to learn and teach to other people what is Shirk? What are the Nullifiers?
There is no good in Muslims, if Shirk is present. And Allaah ‘Azza wa jal Has promised those who believed and do righteous deeds that He will let them rule the land. And in the end of the verse it says they are those who do not do Shirk.
The worship is not called worship except or with the act of worship being free of Shirk.
The Hadeeth of Mu`adh bin Jabal (May Allah be pleased with him) I was riding a pillion with the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) on a donkey. He (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “O Mu`adh, do you know what is the right of Allah upon His slaves, and what is the Right of His slaves upon Allah?” I said: “Allah and His Messenger know better”. Upon this the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “Allah’s Right upon His slaves is that they should worship Him Alone and associate nothing with Him; and His slaves’ right upon Him is that He should not punish who does not associate a thing with Him.” He (Mu`adh) added: I said to the Messenger of Allah: “Shall I give the glad tidings to people?” He (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “Do not tell them this good news for they will depend on it alone”.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Shirk has types : a) Shirk when supplicating : meaning supplicating someone with Allaah. As in Soorah Al-Isra’ verse 67, ”And when harm touches you upon the sea, those that you call upon besides Him vanish from you except Him (Allah Alone). But when He brings you safely to land, you turn away (from Him). And man is ever ungrateful.” Also in Soorah Al-Mu’minoon verse 117,”And whoever invokes (or worships), besides Allah, any other ilah (god), of whom he has no proof, then his reckoning is only with his Lord. Surely! Al-Kafirun(the disbelievers in Allah and in the Oneness of Allah, polytheists, pagans, idolaters, etc.) will not be successful.” And Prophet Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam said,”Supplication is worship” (الدعاء هو العبادة”.) (Abu Dawud).
b)Shirk un-Niyah: to do Shirk with intention. Example : A person do act of worship but not doing sincerely for Allaah ‘Azza wa jal.And doing it for showing off, or for worldly gains. As Allaah said in Soorah Al-Isra’ verse 18,”Whoever wishes for the quick-passing (transitory enjoyment of this world), We readily grant him what We will for whom We like. Then, afterwards, We have appointed for him Hell, he will burn therein disgraced and rejected, ( far away from Allah’s Mercy).”
c)Shirk At-Taa’ah (Shirk in obedience): It means you follow a persons legislation besides Allaah. Allaah says regarding Ahlul Kitaab in Soorah At-Tawbah verse 31,
They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides Allah (by obeying them in things’ which they made lawful or unlawful according to their own desires without being ordered by Allah), and (they also took as their Lord) Messiah, son of Maryam (Mary), while they (Jews and Christians) were commanded [in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)) to worship none but One Ilah (God – Allah) La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be
”.(worshiped but He) . Praise and glory be to Him, (far above is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him
d)Shirk Al-Mahabbah(Shirk in regards to love): This is when you love someone in the same way you love Allaah. As in Soorah Al Baqarah verse 165, ”And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They love them as they love Allah. But those who believe, love Allah more (than anything else).”
Love have types which are as follows : 1)To love Allaah ‘Azza wa jal. 2) To love that which Allaah ‘Azza wa jal loves. 3)To love someone besides Allaah. This one is Shirk as evident in Soorah baqarah verse 165 mentioned above.
Therefore, a person should try to stay away from all types of Shirk and sincerely obey Allaah ‘Azza wa jal in worship.
Even thought Minor Shirk donot takes out of Islaam but it’s still called,”Shirk”.This shows it’s also dangerous. And evident from Hadeeth that Prophet Sal Allaaho ‘Alyhe wasalam feared for us all Minor Shirk and example of it is Ar-Riyaa (Showing off).This comes under the categry of AsShirkun-Niyah (Shirk of intention).This Type of Shirk happens alot so Ibn Al Qayium (Rahimahuallah) said regarding it, ”This is the sea that has no shore and only a few people are safe from it”.
We have to study Tawheed and warn from Shirk to our brothers, our childhren etc. We have to know types of Shirk as one of the poet said, ”I have studied evil, not to fall into it but to avoid it. And the one who doesnot know evil,shall fall into it”. As in Hadeeth of Hudhaifa bin Al-Yaman who said, ” The people used to ask Messenger of Allaah about good, but I used to ask him about evil, for fear that it might overtake me” (Bukhaaree).
END OF FIRST NULLIFIER Wal Alhamdo-lillahi Katheerah.
Reference from Audio 1 http://dusunnah.com/explanation-of-books-2/aqeedah-explanation-of-books-2/the-explanation-of-the-nullifiers-of-islam/
Notes by Ommo ‘Abdillah Al Baakistaniyyah.