Topic : The Manners of Seeking Knowledge
by Ustaadhatanaa Asmaa (Head of Wasitiyyah institute)
Ash-Shaykh Hasan ibn Abdul Wahhab Marzooq al-Banna حفظه الله said, ” A believer never gets bore from repeating/revising the knowledge, specially Ahlus-Sunnah.And your heart should not be closed by repeating rather it should affirm and remind what your learning.Indeed, for this reason Allaahعزوجل says, ”Verily, Reminder benefits the believer”.
Why we seek knowledge?
- A: 1)Knowledge is a form of worship and any worship should be sought for the sake of Allaah’s pleasure only.That is why scholars said, ”Knowledge is a secret prayer and worship of heart”.
Meaning: Knowledge is inside heart which you cannot see like prayer movement of body,but you can see the fruits of knowledge when one acts upon it.
- 2)One Should seek knowledge for Allaah عزوجل and not that people respect him.
Scholars say, ”One should not seek knowledge for gaining respect, neither for arguing with people of knowledge, one should not seek to feel proud and feel more in rank than others, one should not seek for getting worldly benefit (like mufti, professor etc. But, this all will come itself but it should not be sole purpose).” The Scholars says, ”The more a person seeks knowledge, more he realizes how ignorant he is and more he becomes humble.He understands and acknowledges it”.
- 3)A person should be teaching carefully fearing as he is speaking about Allaah عزوجل and His Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- 4)Haste first in learning and not in teaching others. For you will be asked on the day of Judgement. Knowledge is before speech and action.
Then, Why should we seek knowledge ?
A: Ibne ‘Uthymeen رحمه الله said, ” We should seek knowledge for 4 reasons:
- 1)To obey and act upon what Allaah عزوجل has ordered you: To correct our ‘Aqeedah.To correct our character and having highest Akhlaaq is with Allaah عزوجل .Akhlaaq with Allaah عزوجل is believing what He عزوجلrevealed, without doubt. He thinks about Allaah عزوجلgood and hopes in Him. He have trust and attach himself to Him. To correct our Akhlaaq with our parents. Not to raise voice and being humble to them. To have manners with spouse.To have manners with children.To correct with neighbors and other peoples. To correct with animals and trees.
- 2)To seek Knowledge to preserve the Sharee’ah of Allaah عزوجل so it can remain authentic. (By teaching/ by writing).
- 3)To Seek to protect and defend Sharee’ah.To follow the Sharee’ah of Mohammad صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- 4)To remove ignorance from our-self and others.
Why seek knowledge of Qur’aan?
- A: 1)Not to become teacher but to correctly recite as revealed.
Manners of student with his teachers:
- 1)Do not call your teacher by , ”O (يا)”. Do not call him by his name or title like Shaykh. Say, ”May Allaah bestow upon you all goodness”.
?لا تناديه باسمه بل حتى ولا بلقبله ,لا تقول يا شيخ قل أحسن الله إليك أو ما أشبه ذلك أو قل يا شيخي أو يا شيخنا , فإنه ارفع في الأدب طيب وهل يقال مثل ذلك بالنسبة لمناداة الأب
?يعني لا تناديه باسمه وهل تخبر عنه باسمه يعني تقول قال فلان
وقع عن الصحابة انهم يسمون آباء هم ورد عن ابن عمر انه يقول : قال عمر وما اشبه ذلك.
فيقال ان الخير اهون من النداء لأنك لو تنادى أباك وتقول:
يا فلان , صار من سوء الأدب.
You will not call your father with his name but narrating from father is not calling by his name. Respect parents as they have virtue and teacher have virtue as he teach you.
(لا تجعلوا دعاء الرسول بينكم كدعاء بعضكم)24:63
”Make not the calling of the Messenger (Muhammad ) among you as your calling of one another.”
The scholars have two explanation to this verse :
هذه الآيه للعلماء في تفسيرها قولان:
القول الاول :
لا تنادوه باسمه, كما ينادي بعضكم بعضا,
وهذا ما ساقه المولف ابو بكر من أجله.
Do not call him with his name, the way you address to each other.
القول الثاني :
لا تجعلوا دعاؤه ايكم كدعاء بعضكم بعضا بل عليكم ان تجيبوه,وان تمتثلوا امرة وثجتبوا نهيه, بخلاف غيره ,فغيره إذا دعاك ان شئت أجب وإن شئت لا تجب.
When he صلى الله عليه وسلم calls you then don’t liken it like anyone’s calling rather answer it by implementing and stay away from what he prohibits.
Excellence in Asking Questions ( حسن السؤال):
Ibne ‘Uthymeen رحمه الله says,
- 1)Before asking say, ”أحسن الله إليك”(May Allaah ‘Azza wa jal continue to bless you /be good to you)”. You can make any dua’a for a teacher to show you have respect for teacher.
- 2)Excellence of listening. When you ask and when the teacher is answering then listen carefully and not then ask friends.
Advice: Do not liken yourself or your good deed because this is by Allaah ‘Azza wa jal only.
- 3)Not to ask, except when needed.If he asks Question so people can say he has zeal in seeking knowledge. Do not ask for the sake of asking.
- 4)A person should not be shy in asking and shy in saying I do not understand .It is from the knowledge to say, ”Allaho ‘Alam”.
- 5)Do not say to your teacher, ”You said (أنت)”. Say ,”It passed to us in previous lessons”.
Advise : Surround your life around knowledge and not knowledge around your life.
Notes written by Omm Zakariyya